Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

The Beauty of it All

Yesterday, that Easter Sunday, I attended my church's Easter Cantata. Being forewarned, I wasn't expecting a grand showcase of musical talent. And I didn't find one.
The notes they sang weren't always perfectly on key. The sections didn't blend in a delicate balance. Sometimes, the sound would fade as choir members struggled to maintain the note before gasping a breath.
And yet, I found myself weeping at the beauty of it all.

The service reminded me of a particular couple I stayed with on a Singers trip this past semester.
As we chatted, the two mentioned they had both been to the Holy Land, once together and once only the gentleman with some other family members. When the conversation began to dwindle, and there was nothing worth viewing on t.v., the man, with a teasing tone and hopeful eyes suggested we watch his home videos from Israel. We agreed.
It was not the most thrilling of videos. 
However, one particular scene remains locked in my mind:
The tour guide stands outside a building, explaining that it is a church with remarkable acousitcs. He claims, "Any group that sings in here sounds like angels."
The next moment shows the group inside of the church. They are singing "My God is an Awesome God", and to my ears, they sound nothing like angels. When the group finishes that song, a young girl in the middle of the pack begins singing a hymn.
It's like a scene from a movie. She sounds absolutely beautiful. Her voice resonates in the ancient church, and the whole group sits, many weeping, as she stands and sings.
When she finishes the first verse, she motions for the others to join in. And they do. It's just as loud and slightly off key as before, but somehow now, the sound is transformed.
Now I hear angels.

As I sat in my pew on Sunday, listening to some of Christ's church praise His name, I heard the angels song again.
You see, I don't think God even notices the tune or the key or how many instruments swell in the background. While they sang, I could see my God sitting on His throne in heaven above, eyes closed, hands outstretched soaking in their praise. His heart swelling with the fragrance of their offering.
I fear some who attended the service could only hear the choir. They missed the point. I didn't weep because the sound pleased my ears. I didn't weep because the music was beautiful. I wept because He is Beautiful. Because He deserves all of our praise and more. I wept as my heart sang along with the choir, simply adoring.
Simply amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment