Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

We little men

Oh, the frailty of men, with our bones that bend and break! I saw an x-ray of a broken bone this week. The rod of strength was in pieces. How is this? That bone seemed so strong, so big. How is it that it could so crumble beneath weight or by force?
Maybe we are not so big after all.
Maybe we are just tiny.
I remember years ago seeing a photograph entitled "The Pale Blue Dot". The picture was taken billions of miles from our planet. Do you see us?
We are there, you know.

There. That tiny speck of dust. That pale blue dot. That is earth. That pale blue dot holds the Great Wall of China, the Burj Khalifa, and the Sistine Chapel. That pale blue dot is where Columbus discovered new lands, and the World Wars were fought. That pale blue dot is where we live and laugh and cry and love. Where we fight for more power or more land or just more. All of this, on a speck of dust. How tiny we are.
It's strange to think of my world as nothing more than a speck. I imagine God watching us on our little chunk of rock and metal. I think of a grade schooler watching an ant farm, laughing at their frantic running, all for nothing. I feel so insignificant to be an ant on a pale blue dot.
But that's not how it is. Not at all.
He knows my name.
He's not some god who threw the stars and planets into the sky. He spoke them into being. He created. He used his time, his thought, his care. He didn't drop Adam and Eve onto this rock and leave them to frantically scramble for food and life. He walked with them, spoke with them.
I am not another random ant running about on the pale blue dot I call home.
I am Moriah Beth Hendrix. My God knit me together.
He knows my actions, my words, my thoughts, my soul. He talks with me and laughs with me and holds me when I weep. He gave up His precious son, His only son, Himself, for me and the rest of mankind. For our tiny lives on our pale blue dot. He created the vast universe, but chose one pale blue dot to hold life, life that He knits and loves.
How very humbling to know that this God, infinitely bigger than our pale blue dot, infinitely bigger than the universe, knows my name.
How very wonderful that we men with our brittle bones have a relationship with this unfathomably enormous God.
Maybe we are not so big after all.
Maybe we are tiny.
But our giant God gives us worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment